Basic AoL Combat Module

Try your luck at the Tavern of doom, or try out something else.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Basic AoL Combat Module

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:58 pm

Okay guys, let's brainstorm this.

Basically I want to build an adjustable short and fun scenario that multiple players can move through. Something very much like "Kadrok is bored" but simpler, easier to manage, and less broken. I'd also like it to be as undemanding on a narrator as possible, or even narrator-free, perhaps structured in such a way that it's managed collaboratively, or the "narrator" gets to play their character too.

Random Encounters
With that in mind, how about a system for spawning the bad guys determined by a dice roll? We build a Rogues gallery of possible foes, sometimes in groups (i.e. one roll can spawn a Pewterarm Archvillain, another roll can spawn an amount of generic gunmen equal the amount of players, another roll spawns a Coinshot and a Lurcher pair).

It might be worth secretly rolling up the whole encounter beforehand to allow powers like aBronze or aCopper to shine... you can sense what's coming up, or the bandits can sense what you're doing and send later waves to face the heroes early!

Setting and Rules
I'm a big fan of "a train in motion" like I am using for "Kadrok is bored". I also think we should use the Extras rules again, since having only Archvillains made "Kadrok is bored" a tad of a slog.

Finally, I think because there's going to be no leveling up in these little modules, having Average-Strong-Mighty is the way to go, rather than a chunk of AP. The restrictive nature of the A/S/M options diminishes munchkining and makes non-Twinborn options more appealing due to the way stunts are distributed.
Sir Jerric

Re: Basic AoL Combat Module

Post by Sir Jerric » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:25 pm

For a random generation table, map the encounters to the probability table on page 454: roll 2 dice for the first wave, results 0-5 provide six different options, tougher foes on the higher results.

Or each entry is a single enemy, and a wave might have 3x 2-dice and 1x 4-dice enemies, for example.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:53 pm

Good call. Ooooh, I thought of a cool mechanic. I'll have a special rule that if a Bandit has a Gunsmithing Stunt for a customization, that customization is added to EVERY bandit's gun! That way if one of the Gunsmiths comes up in the roll it improves the whole team.

Imagine rolling the guy who adds 'Magnum Force' alongside this boss I'm putting together:
Kadrok wrote:PEWTER SAVANT BANDIT
With an arrogant sneer fixed on her otherwise pretty face, this woman moves with unnatural speed and liquid grace!

PEWTER SAVANT GUNSLINGER (SERIOUS THREAT)

Attributes: Physique 6 [15], Charm 4, Wits 3 (4 Points)
Standings: Resources 4, Influence 3, Spirit 4 (3 Points)
Resiliences: Health 10 [19], Reputation 7, Willpower 7
Traits: Trait 1; Trait 2; Trait 3 (3 Points)

POWERS (5 Points)
Allomancy
Pewter 9 (boosts Physique and Health, as shown in brackets)
--Pewterarm Savant: Gains two “free” Nudges with Physique rolls while burning Pewter, but her physique score drops by 1 (to a minimum of 2) when not burning Pewter.
--Denser Tissues 1: She suffers 1 less damage from physical attacks while burning Pewter.
--Extreme Speed: While burning Pewter, she may run as fast as a galloping race horse (approximately 40 mph). She may also take up to 2 steps toward or away from a target in each Beat without penalty, or 3 steps if she forgoes Action or Defense Dice for the round.

Gunplay
--Improved Fanning: When fanning a revolver, she needs 1 fewer Nudge to succeed (e.g., she inflicts the weapon’s damage twice as long as she succeeds with 1 Nudge, or inflicts it three times if she succeed with 3 Nudges)

EQUIPMENT (4 Points)
-Sterrion 36 revolver - Damage: +2; Capacity: 6; Range: Close/Medium
-Leather duster - Absorbs 1 damage from physical attacks
-2 Misting Vials - Each contains 3 charges of Pewter
She can freely hit someone twice with her gun thanks to her Savanthood, and she only needs to roll 1 nudge to hit three times. With Magnum Force that would be 9 Damage in one attack (!)
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:31 am

Just out of curiosity, which of you can see the thread in which I'm creating Archvillains and Mooks for this module? And if you can, what do you think so far?

Also, do you think I should elevate 'Gunsmithing Prodigy' to Archvillain Status? Giving every foe in the game guns with Magnum Force, Hair Trigger and Long Range, as well as 10 rounds each of Coinshot, Lurcher, Pewterarm and Armour Piercing Ammo seems like a really strong effect, even if the players can loot the guns and ammo from their fallen foes, and even if he's not going to be much of a fight on his own. Him not being much of a fight on his own was the reason I originally put him in the mooks category. I wanted the Archvillains to be very threatening foes, although making every foe in the game more threatening is arguably a comparable effect.

EDIT: Yeah, I talked myself into it. 'Gunsmithing Prodigy' is now an Archvillain, and if he doesn't seem strong enough to stay there after some games I'm bump him back down.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:17 pm

Okay, so now that I have a basic Rogue's Gallery (I say basic because I still have some more in the works, a Lurcher Minion named "Telekinetic Trickster" and a couple of Bosses) let's see if I can figure out the encounter mechanics.

Let's say there are 8 train cars, and then the engine, and the bandits have set the train to run out of control and crash into the last stop at True Madil (or some such) so that the Heroes have to clear the Bandits and stop the train (further down the line I can add a time limit mechanic, but for now let's leave that alone).

So we need to generate an encounter for each train car. Let's say there's something valuable in car four, and car eight is right next to the engine, so we'll generate a boss in each of those cars, meaning we need to roll for each train car and then roll for the Archvillains in cars 4 and 8 (in addition to the minions we roll for those cars).
Sir Jerric wrote:For a random generation table, map the encounters to the probability table on page 454: roll 2 dice for the first wave, results 0-5 provide six different options, tougher foes on the higher results.

Or each entry is a single enemy, and a wave might have 3x 2-dice and 1x 4-dice enemies, for example.
Wait a minute. How does this work? Like 2 on the table is not the probability of getting a 2, it's the probability of getting a 2 or higher. Hmmm.

Maybe I should have it such that every pair on the encounter roll generates something? I regret not being better at maths right now.

Okay, so Archvillains are easy because there are less than 6. I will probably make more of them, but for now we can just roll 1 D6 for each of the two Archvillians in a run and reroll any blanks or double-ups.

Wait a minute. Now that the numbers don't matter, any individual pair is as likely as any other (because 4 isn't better than 2, they're plain different things)! So I don't have to worry about Maths anyway!

Well that's easy then!

Okay, so there's probably a better way to do this which will require maths, but in the short term let's just go with this.

Rules
Before beginning the run, roll for each carriage to determine beforehand what the heroes will encounter. Only the narrator should look at the results. Note that the 'Weathy Backer' and 'Gunsmithing Prodigy' each modify the entire encounter. In the future I'll add a Seeker who can cause later encounters to attack the players early, and a Coppercloud who can prevent player Seekers from seeing what is up ahead.

Carriages 1-3 Roll dice equal to the amount of players
Carriages 4-8 Roll dice equal to twice the amount of players

Each dice face generates one of the following minions:
1. Telekinetic Trickster
2. Koloss-blooded Fire-fist
3. Shotgunner
4. Gunner
5. Knife Fighter
Nudge. Steelrunner Swordsman

Special results (these occur only once per run)
3 of a kind (e.g. three 1s) 1 Wealthy Backer in that carriage, as well as the three minions the dice generate normally.
(MORE TO COME - Seeker, Coppercloud, Basic Gunsmith)

Additionally, roll 1 die for the boss in Carriage 4, and one for the boss in Carriage 8 (reroll a double up or blank):
1. Pewter Savant Bandit
2. Sparker Tinslinger
3. Gunsmithing Prodigy
(MORE TO COME - Seeker Mastermind, )

How does that look everyone?
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:17 am

If you're doing the train in motion idea, I assume random rolls on what's in each car, as you get up to it?
Last edited by PhantomMonstrosity on Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:19 am

PhantomMonstrosity wrote:If you're doing the train in motion idea, I assume random rolls on what's in each car, as you get up to it?
Actually, random rolls to select from a table what's in each car at the beginning so that enemy Seekers can react to unsmoked Allomancy by moving their team towards the Heroes. Among other effects.
PhantomMonstrosity

Post by PhantomMonstrosity » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:21 am

Kadrok wrote:
PhantomMonstrosity wrote:If you're doing the train in motion idea, I assume random rolls on what's in each car, as you get up to it?
Actually, random rolls to select from a table what's in each car at the beginning so that enemy Seekers can react to unsmoked Allomancy by moving their team towards the Heroes. Among other effects.
I'd prefer random rolls on what's in each car, as you get up to it.

Less overhead, more chance of spontaneity.

Have the table go from 'least dangerous' to 'most dangerous', and add a modifier based on how noisy (allomantically or otherwise) you were in the previous car
Gargoyle

Post by Gargoyle » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:18 am

Could roll for the car after the one you enter, so that the narrator knows what's next but it's not all planned out ahead of time?
Kadrok
Board Ruler
Board Ruler

Post by Kadrok » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:26 am

Gargoyle wrote:Could roll for the car after the one you enter, so that the narrator knows what's next but it's not all planned out ahead of time?
True. But Wealthy Backer and Gunsmith Prodigy affect the whole encounter.

Return to “Testing Center”